In what may be the worst-kept secret ever, it seems likely Nampa will become the new home of a massive $130 million dollar Nampa Idaho Amazon Distribution Center.
The massive project, labeled “Project Bronco”, is currently being developed on 111 acres, north of I-84, between Star Road and the Corwyn Ford dealership.
Unsurprisingly, Amazon has neither confirmed nor denied the planned facility, and Nampa city officials appear to be bound by a nondisclosure agreement for the project.
It’s difficult to keep a project of this size a secret, so there’s quite a bit of information that has become public.
Here’s some interesting information gleaned from various news media articles:
- Amazon Fulfillment Services, Inc. filed to do business in the State of Idaho in November 2017.
- Last June, Panattoni Development Company, Inc. applied for a conditional use permit with the City of Nampa to develop the facility.
- The Nampa Planning and Zoning Commission promptly approved the permit (unanimously) at a public hearing in July.
- The initial application included a 857,357 sq. ft. building, but the application was updated in September to expand the size of the building.
- The building permit application included mention of “PREDEV – Amazon BTS”.
- The facility is planned to include 255 truck/trailer stalls.
- The new facility could employ up to 3,000 people and is expected to provide more than $1 million in tax revenue.
- Ware Malcomb architectural firm described the project as a distribution center intended for mostly smaller packages during a Nampa Building and Site Design Committee meeting in July.
- Panattoni has developed similar Amazon distribution centers around the world.
- Major construction is underway at the site, and a Panattoni spokesperson said construction is expected to take about 13 months.
- Amazon currently has several Nampa, Idaho job postings online, including a position described as “Amazon Warehouse Fulfillment Associate”.
- Upon completion, Project Bronco will be the largest business in Nampa.
After personally seeing the magnitude of the development, I can’t help but wonder about the traffic impact on the surrounding roads.
Disclaimer: None of the above information about the development has been confirmed and was obtained from various news articles.